6 Months Out
Collect your loan paperwork.
- W-2 forms — or business tax return forms if you’re self-employed — for the last two to three years
- Personal tax returns for the past two to three years
- Your most recent pay stubs
- Credit card and all loan statements
- Your bank statements
- Addresses for the past five to seven years
- Brokerage account statements for the most recent two to four months
- Most recent retirement account statements, such as 401(k)
If you start collecting these documents now, it’ll lessen the stress when it’s time to get your loan. Bonus: Looking closely at your loan documents each month will also help you stay focused on saving for your down payment and keeping your debt-to-income ratio low.
Research lenders and REALTORS®.
Even better, look for a